It’s been over 7 months since we first announced the Million Dollar Blog Project. Let’s check in and see how everyone is doing.
If you haven’t heard about this project yet, here’s the deal: we started a big group blogging challenge last year for fun and as a public case study.
The project has two primary goals. First, our goal (the Think Traffic team) is to create a new blog from scratch, in public and show exactly how we build the blog step-by-step. The second goal is to encourage you to start a blog of your own and follow along with us.
The “million dollar” part of the project comes from our goal of earning $1M from our case study blog over it’s life, and for your participating blogs to earn at least $1M in revenue during the first two years of the project.
You can learn more about the details of the project here, and see all of the posts we’ve written for the project since it started.
It’s Not Too Late to Join!
Before we jump into the progress report, let’s start by clearing something up. It is not too late to join this project. We welcome new members.
The project is free, and we encourage you to participate by:
- Reading the project description
- Following along with the blog posts in the MDBP series to see how we built our case study blog (called Expert Enough – more details below on that)
- Registering your participating blog
- Working your way up the leaderboard
- Watching for new posts here in the series (like this one)
Sure, you’ll be a little behind everyone else who started months ago, but there’s no reason you can’t make the first page of the leaderboard within a few months with enough effort. Following along with the project will help you build a better blog, even if your goal isn’t to make the top of the leaderboard.
As you might have guessed from the title, we have some specific results from the project to share with you today.
So far collectively this project has:
- Attracted over 318,000 monthly visitors in the most recent month
- Grown to 18,600 total subscribers
- Earned $93,826 in revenue as a group
Each of these stats is taken from the leaderboard. The monthly visitors and subscriber numbers are actual results as reported via Clicky analytics and Feedburner subscriber tracking. Revenue numbers are self-reported and represent the total all participating blogs have earned since joining the project.
Congratulations to everyone who has contributed to these numbers.
It’s incredible that so many of you have created blogs for this project that are becoming popular and growing every month.
We’re pleased with these results so far and would consider the project a success if this was all we achieved. We’re going to keep pushing on though, and I have a feeling we’ll accomplish much more than this over the coming months.
As reported on throughout the series, the case study blog we launched as part of this project is Expert Enough. Most of what we’ve done to develop this blog has been reported on through this project.
Expert Enough is now just over 5 months old.
Here are some of the things the blog has accomplished in this time:
- One post has been shared over 500 times, and another has been shared over 1,400 times
- The Lost Art of Becoming Good at Things has been viewed 20,426 times
- The Expert Enough Show podcast has been downloaded over 4,000 times
- The site has accumulated 2,743 subscribers
- The site has attracted a total of 117,261 visitors since launching
- The site has directly earned a total of $2,027 in revenue
Not bad for a 5-month old blog that we spend 5-10 hours a week developing
Our plans for Expert Enough are big. We’ll continue to develop the audience and voice over the next several months and plan to release a product for sale there later this year.
We’re still a long way from our $1M goal, but this is a marathon, not a sprint. Investing in the platform up front is all part of our strategy for building a popular and profitable blog in the long run.
New Feature: MDBP Leader Profiles
Now that we’re knee-deep in the project, some very interesting case studies are cropping up on the MDBP leaderboard.
We’ll be reaching out to some of the leaders in coming weeks to ask them some questions and share what you can learn from their success.
Your Status? Tell Us About Your Progress Below
If you’re in the project already or are thinking about joining, we’d love to get a quick status update from you below.
Tell us the following:
- What’s your blog (name + URL)?
- Why should someone visit your blog?
- What are you most proud of about your blog so far?
- What are you planning to work on over the next 1 to 3 months?
- What would you like us to write about or add to the project?
Let’s hear it!
Thanks for participating and following along.
If you have questions about the project, your own participation or the Expert Enough case study blog, please feel free to ask us in the comments.
- Learn anything? Please share!
5 Free Videos, Digital Books, & Workbooks
- 6 Steps to 1,000 Visitors a Day
- 18 Months, 2 Blogs, Six Figures eBook
- 6 Ways to Earn $1,000/Mo Online
- 3 Compelling Content Types You Can Use Today To Get Loads of Visitors, Shares and Subscribers
- The Essential Business Plan Template For Bloggers