Editor’s note: this is a guest post from Chris Garrett of chrisg.com.
My brother-in-law’s best friend just died at a young age leaving everyone connected to him frozen in shock.
The saddest part for me is that he was largely estranged from his family and that he had put his life on hold. He lived life like he was poor, even though he had plenty of money coming in. It was like he was going to enjoy himself “one day”.
Just before he died he had finally started doing things he enjoyed, buying a motorbike and doing up his house. Still, he seemed to be locked into thinking that now was for working, and later was when he would have time for living.
Does this sound like anyone you know?
Are you putting off life? Or as Corbett calls it, are you living the “deferred-life plan?” Worse, are you waiting for life to “happen to you?”
These events were one of the catalysts for me booking a vacation to Australia and New Zealand. As someone with a consulting business you might think it is crazy to take so much time out in “this economy,” but there will never be a perfect time. My daughter is getting older, and there will be a time when she does not want to spend time with us.
With my moving from 100% consulting to digital delivery of courses, such as my Authority Blogger course, I finally have a business that does not completely close down when I am not there for a while. It seems to me I would be crazy NOT to take the trip.
Action Equals Happiness
My brother decided one day he was going to pack in his office job, move to London and enroll in a guitar institute. People called him crazy, but I could see just by making the decision he was both terrified and exhilarated. When he really got going with the course it was the happiest and most fulfilled I have ever seen him. He was where he was meant to be. Just the rent for his flat in London is more than some people make as a monthly wage, but he is living his dream.
Take management of your life today so you can live life now rather than in some vague, idealized “later.”
- Dream – Imagine the lifestyle you want
- Turn the dream into an ambition – something you actually intend to work towards
- Decide where you are going and how you are going to get there – this is not just about destination but living the journey well
- Work out the steps to achieve it
- Write down the exact milestones, how will you know precisely when you have achieved those steps?
- Start bringing the lifestyle into reality piece by piece
- Take action to make it happen
- Record a diary or journal and celebrate successes
- Work on progress rather than perfection
The Time Is Now
There will never be a perfect time, the only time you have is now. Start making progress toward the life you want… before time runs out.
What do you think? Have you managed to get the life you want or are you still working towards it? Please share in the comments …
photo by joiseyshowaa
- Learn anything? Please share!
5 Free Videos, Digital Books, & Workbooks
- 6 Steps to 1,000 Visitors a Day
- 18 Months, 2 Blogs, Six Figures eBook
- 6 Ways to Earn $1,000/Mo Online
- 3 Compelling Content Types You Can Use Today To Get Loads of Visitors, Shares and Subscribers
- The Essential Business Plan Template For Bloggers