One of the questions I hear most is “how do I find a mentor?”
Mentorship has always been a strange concept to me. For a long time I thought it was common for people to have “official” mentors, but eventually I realized I had never met anyone with an explicit mentor relationship.
Maybe your experience is different, maybe you know of a world where up-and-comers have designated relationships with experienced people who look out for them, but for most people it just doesn’t work that way.
So, instead of helping you find a mentor, I’m going to tell you why you should stop looking for one. Or, at least that you should stop looking for what you think a mentor is.
Why Do You Want a Mentor Anyway?
Just about everyone thinks about having a mentor at some point. Having someone experienced and well-connected to coach and guide you is easy to want.
Two weeks ago we first wrote about the launch of our new training platform for online business builders in 5 lessons from a $213,000 launch.
Today we have 5 more lessons from our launch to share with you. If you’re building an online business or launching a new product, this post is for you.
6. Low Priced Products Can Deliver Big Financial Results
Online courses are priced at almost any amount you can imagine, from free all the way up to $3,000 and beyond.
This always raises interesting questions. How do you price your own information products? Do you have to price high to earn high? Can lower priced products still earn good revenue?
In the case of Fizzle, we decided to make our monthly membership affordable (currently starting at $29 a month) for a couple of reasons:
- We believe we can produce high-quality education for online entrepreneurs at a reasonable price, and we believe this training should be affordable to most people who want it.
- We wanted to differentiate ourselves from the crowd of “gurus” selling training in the $2k and up range.
Two weeks ago our little 3-person company launched a new video training platform and community for online business builders.
The launch (which was actually iterated over 3.5 months) was a hit. We exceeded our expectations and brought in a nice chunk of revenue (which I’ll detail below).
We also learned a lot, partly through experimentation, partly by talking with other entrepreneurs, and partly by reading everything we could about launching this kind of service online.
I’ve been working online for a while now (Think Traffic will be three years old in March), but I still remember so clearly years ago wondering if I could really do it — if I could bootstrap a small business based around a blog that gave me the complete freedom to live and work how I wanted to. [Continue reading…]
Today’s the big day — Fizzle just officially opened for enrollment!
And as a Think Traffic reader, you qualify for 50% off your first month.
Get the full details, discount and enroll here →
10 Reasons You’ll Love Fizzle
- Fizzlers are freaking awesome. The community is full of ambitious, talented, friendly, driven and fun people reaching for the next step in their businesses and lives.
- Each course is taught by experts you can trust like Leo Babauta, Scott Dinsmore and, of course, me and the Fizzle Team.
- We have inside jokes (lots of them). The Fizzle community is so fun you’ll forget this is “work.”
- We have in depth interviews with proven entrepreneurs where we learn the steps they took to be successful and what they’d do if they were starting all over. (e.g., how Pat Flynn built a passive income empire)
- It’s affordable. You don’t have to pay a bunch of money to get in. In fact, our members tell us our monthly price is ridiculously low for everything included.
- We hold live “Office Hours” sessions where you can ask experts specific questions about your business.
- The Fizzle community will kick your ass (in a good way) — with this accountability and direction you’ll get more done than ever before.
- You’ll actually watch our training videos. They come in bite-sized chunks and give you step by step guides, making it easy to start applying the learning to your business. Also, they’re fun.
- The Three C’s are here for you (Corbett, Chase and Caleb), rooting you on and answering your questions. Seriously, this is our house. We care about it more than you know.
- Fizzle will help you finally make that breakthrough you’ve been dreaming of. Seriously, Fizzlers are winning deals, crushing goals, and breaking through old limitations every day.
We stand by every single one of these points. This place is special. If you want to build an online business you’re proud of we want you in Fizzle.
If you’re ready to become a Fizzler, click here →
What Courses are in the Fizzle Library?
There’s no filler here. Each course in the Fizzle training library serves a purpose. Each step by step video is crafted with intention to help you take the next step (and the next) towards your business goal. You won’t find this kind of quality or this caliber of community, accountability and support anywhere else.
At the time of writing this the library contains 126 lessons in 19 courses (over 20 hours of training), and more courses are added every month.
Here are the courses available today:
- Website Traffic Essentials (16 lessons) — an essential overview of the top traffic sources on the web and how you can use each to build your own highly effective custom traffic strategy.
- Connect With Anyone (18 lessons) — Scott Dinsmore from Live Your Legend delivers an exclusive version of his popular Connect With Anyone course just for Fizzle members.
- How to Create Effective and Engaging Content (10 lessons) — Leo Babauta of Zen Habits teaches one of the greatest skills you can bring to your business. Anyone can create content, but very few people can actually create effective content that creates true fans and customers.
- Accepting Payments Online: Services Review and Comparison (11 lessons) — learn which payment processing service might be best for your business, why, and how to implement it.
- Essential Google Analytics (8 lessons) — everything you need to know about setting up and monitoring Google Analytics to understand your site’s visitors, keep them on your site longer, and attract more of them.
- WordPress Tutorial Series (20 lessons) — From posts to plugins to widgets and more… we have everything you need to use WordPress like an expert covered in this complete tutorial series.
- Office Hours: Setting Good Goals (72 min. session) — Learn what makes a good goal and what makes an awful goal. Plus 40+ minutes of member question and answers.
- Getting Started with Podcasting (9 lessons) — Learn the different types of equipment and software you should use, how to properly record, edit, and tag your podcasts, how you use the best tools and services for hosting and publishing a podcast, and get your podcast launched.
- Defining Your Audience (9 lessons) — why it’s so important to define and understand your audience as well as how to do the digging, thinking and insighting (sp?) so you’re better able to create, serve and sell to your audience.
- Office Hours: Productivity Do’s, Don’ts, Dangers & Tips (72 min. session) — Walk through some tips, tricks, dangers and evils of productivity and task management. Plus 40+ minutes of member question and answers.
- Differentiation: How to Make Your Business Stand Out, Even in a Crowded Space (8 lessons) — Differentiation is the key to winning customers and beating your competition, and you’ll learn how to make your business stand out in this course.
- Introduction to Twitter (8 lessons) — everything from setting up your profile to driving more traffic from Twitter.
- Office Hours: Choosing a Market (73 min. session) — Corbett discusses the importance of choosing a market followed by 40 minutes of member questions and answers.
Deluxe Member Exclusives:
- Live Office Hours Access — Deluxe members have direct access to the Fizzle team (Corbett Barr, Chase Reeves, Caleb Wojcik, and occasional special guests) in these monthly Q&A sessions. Ask specific questions about your business; receive specific answers from experts invested in your success.
- Brett Kelly: Launching a Ridiculously Popular E-Book While You Have a Day Job (54 min. session) — how he launched Evernote Essentials and sold over 17,000 copies in just over two years.
- Nathan Barry: Quitting College to Freelance and Design iOS Apps (40 min. session) — how he successfully grossed $12,000 in one day of eBook sales with less than a thousand subscribers to his blog.
- Corbett Barr: How He Started and Advice for Starting (1h session) — the story behind Think Traffic, mistakes he doesn’t want you to make, how he grew his audience, and what he’d do if he was getting started right now.
- Barron Cuadro: From Day Job to Freelancer to Full-time Entrepreneur (47 min. session) — how he built Effortless Gent into a popular blog and business that attracts over 50k unique visitors per month.
- Leo Babauta: The Ultimate Beginners’ Guide to Building a Popular Blog (50 min. session) — learn the exact formula Leo used to build his Time Magazine Top 25 Blog and grow to over 250,000 monthly readers.
- Pat Flynn: How He Built a Passive Income Empire (62 min. session) — Learn where he got his start and how Pat’s grown his site through transparency, a podcast, a YouTube channel, and social media.
Defy the Odds
Give your business the best possible chance to succeed. Get training from passionate experts and combine it with a thriving, supportive community — Join Fizzle today »
Like we said above, this is our house and we’d be honored to serve you on your journey. If this resonates with you, we’d love for you to join us.
Hope to see you inside!
– Corbett and Team Fizzle
We have been absolutely blown away by the incredible creativity and ambition you all have shown us over the past five days. The response to our Mentorship for a Year contest has been off the charts.
Chase, Caleb and I have spent the past couple of days devouring the nearly 250 entries. You made us laugh, smile, think and feel. It was nearly an impossible task to choose just one, but in the end we have a very deserving winner.
I’ll review the winner in just a minute.
But first, I have a confession. We came up with the idea of this contest as a fun way to build some buzz around the launch of Fizzle tomorrow. But after the response from you all, we knew we had to change our plans.
We’re still launching Fizzle tomorrow, but we’re dedicating today’s post to you, the contest and the winners instead of to the details about the launch. I’m so excited to tell you about Fizzle — I’m more proud of it than anything else I’ve created in my career so far — but it can wait until tomorrow.
Next week we’re finally opening our latest project Fizzle to the world. We’ll have full details for you about it on Tuesday, including special launch-day pricing you won’t want to miss.
But before Fizzle opens, let’s do something fun…
We’re giving away a full year of mentorship from the Think Traffic team AND lifetime membership in Fizzle to one deserving Think Traffic reader.