Earlier this week, we announced the Million Dollar Blog Project.
Our goal is simple: to build a blog from scratch that earns $1M over it’s life, and to show you exactly how we do it, live. We also want to inspire you to build your own fun and profitable blog project along side us.
Now we need your help in selecting a topic for the blog we’ll build.
The rules are simple. Any subject or focus that you think might make a good topic for our million dollar blog can be nominated, except for topics related to making money online.
Anything else goes: underwater basket weaving, submarine races, hamster driving, etc., you get the picture. As long as it isn’t related to online marketing or making money online, please nominate anything you think would make a good topic in the comments below.
What Makes a Good Blog Topic
This project isn’t just about blogging, it’s about building a small business around a blog. That means our topic selection process will be a little more involved than it might be if we were just doing this for fun and creative expression.
Can you make money with any blog topic?
That’s a great question. I think any blog topic could be used to make some money, but not every topic can make great money.
Since our goal for this project is to earn $1M over the life of this blog, we’ll have to choose our topic carefully.
Here’s generally what we’ll be looking for:
1) a topic that will be fun to blog about. (doing something fun makes it so much easier to succeed)
2) a topic that represents a burning desire or pressing problem. The easiest way to build a business online is to solve a problem or fulfill a desire. The stronger the desire or more pressing the problem, the better.
3) a topic that we (the Think Traffic team) already have some knowledge of and interest in, or that we can become knowledgeable in relatively quickly.
4) evidence that money can be made around this topic. We want to know that opportunity exists within this market before we jump in.
We’ll cover our selection process in much more detail when we reveal the topic. Hopefully our process will help you choose your own blog topic if you’re planning to start a new project along with us.
How the Selection Will Work
We’ll take all of your nominations and put them to a vote next week. You’ll vote to narrow them down to the top 5, then we’ll choose one of the top selections.
The voting will take place over email, so if you want to take part in the vote next week, make sure you’re on our list for email updates. You don’t have to subscribe to nominate or follow along with this project, just to vote next week if you want to.
Again, anything goes, so feel free to nominate anything, no matter how crazy or obscure it might seem. We’ll take all the nominations and put them to a vote.
Why Are We Asking You to Nominate?
Why not just select a topic ourselves, instead of letting readers nominate a topic? Great question. There are three reasons why.
First, we know you’ll have some great ideas, more ideas than we would have on our own. By doing this publicly, we’ll get to use one of your ideas, you might just find a great idea for your own project as well.
Second, we want to show you how our selection process works for all kinds of ideas. We’ll be showing you why we selected our chosen topic, and why we didn’t choose the other topics in your top 5.
Third, we’re feeling up for a challenge
We’d Love You to Join Us
Remember, if you’d like to start your own blog alongside us, we’d love you to join us in this project.
You’ll be able to follow along with our updates and learn strategies and tips you can apply to your own site. We’ll even link to your blog and progress reports on a special page here at Think Traffic.
If you’re thinking about starting your own blog, read all the details here and leave a comment telling us about your plans.
We’ll be explaining more about how participation will work next week. For now, just let us know if you’re interested on that announcement post.
Unleash the Nominations!
Alright, it’s time to ask for your input.
What do you think our million dollar blog should be about?
We’d love to hear your nominations for topics in the comments below. Feel free to nominate up to three topics. Include a sentence or two if your idea requires a little explaining.
Here’s a hint to people planning to start a new blog for this project: you might just find a great idea among the nominations that you can use yourself.
Nominations will close on Tuesday, September 6 at Midnight Eastern. Note: Submissions are now closed. We will email Think Traffic subscribers with a chance to vote on all the nominations later next week. We’ll announce the chosen topic during the week of September 12th.
This should be fun, thanks for your ideas!
- Announcing The Million Dollar Blog Project: Build a Profitable Blog Along With Us
- Help us Choose a Topic for the Million Dollar Blog (and Discover Your Own)
- The Art of Public Accountability Journals + Participation Rules for the Million Dollar Blog Project
- How to Choose the Perfect Topic for Your Next Blog
- How to Find a Great Domain Name for a New Blog and Set it Up in 15 Minutes
- Learn anything? Please share!
5 Free Videos, Digital Books, & Workbooks
- 6 Steps to 1,000 Visitors a Day
- 18 Months, 2 Blogs, Six Figures eBook
- 6 Ways to Earn $1,000/Mo Online
- 3 Compelling Content Types You Can Use Today To Get Loads of Visitors, Shares and Subscribers
- The Essential Business Plan Template For Bloggers