If you’ve thought traveling the world for a few years is only possible for 20-somethings or retirees, this story is for you.
Betsy and Warren Talbot from Married with Luggage are about to embark on a 3-year trip around the world. What makes their story unique is that they aren’t rich, retired, 20-somethings or even minimalists. They’re a married couple who are leaving successful big-company careers to see the world and celebrate their 40th birthdays abroad.
I caught up with Betsy and Warren earlier this year to talk about how they’ve changed their lives and saved enough to take 3 years off. They have managed to plan, prepare and save enough for the trip in just 2 years by focusing on what matters and restructuring their lives to make it possible.
If you’ve ever suspected that living large doesn’t mean living well, check out this interview. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- How they decided the lives they were living weren’t working for them (3:56)
- Why Betsy didn’t even have time to join a book club in her “old life” (4:35)
- How getting out of debt is the key to opening up your lifestyle options (9:01)
- How much they plan to spend while on the 3-year trip (10:57)
- Which expenses they decided to give up to save for the trip (11:30)
- How they got on the same page about money as a couple (12:05)
- What percentage of their income they have been able to save (12:29)
Here’s the audio interview (just click the play arrow):
I originally interviewed Warren and Betsy back in February for a different project I was working on. I’ve since scrapped that project and apologize to the Talbots for taking so long to run this interview.
Since our interview, Warren and Betsy sold their house and moved in with a friend. They used a lot of social media to help sell the house, and even in this market it sold in 3 weeks for 98% of their asking price. Pretty cool.
They are also hosting a free event on September 14 (just 2 weeks before they leave) in Seattle called Meet, Plan, Go! where they will show other people how to take a career break for travel. It should be a really fun event (and part of a nationwide event in 13 cities). The grand prize is an “Inca Journey” trip to Peru from Gap Adventures, so check to see if there is an event in your area you can attend to be eligible.
Warren and Betsy Talbot are on a mission to redesign their lives to travel full time. Whether your dream is halfway around the world or in your own backyard, you’ll find information on goal-setting, living well, managing your money, and simplifying your life every week on their blog, Married with Luggage. Follow them on Twitter (Warren and Betsy) and on Facebook.
- Learn anything? Please share!
5 Free Videos, Digital Books, & Workbooks
- 6 Steps to 1,000 Visitors a Day
- 18 Months, 2 Blogs, Six Figures eBook
- 6 Ways to Earn $1,000/Mo Online
- 3 Compelling Content Types You Can Use Today To Get Loads of Visitors, Shares and Subscribers
- The Essential Business Plan Template For Bloggers