“Do or do not. There is no try.” -Yoda
That Yoda was a wise little green dude if you ask me.
I’m going to offer a little tough love today. If you’re not up for an online ass-kicking, then I suggest you skip this one.
Some of you probably won’t want to hear this, but it needs to be said. Your future depends on it.
If you’re reading this blog, I assume you have some dream you’re pursuing. Life isn’t exactly the way you want, and you have a dream of changing that. There’s a project or business or life change you have in mind that will make everything better.
And you probably wonder, on a regular basis, will I succeed? Can I really make my dream happen?
Here comes the part that might be painful to hear.
You already know deep down the answer to that question. Whether you will succeed or not isn’t up to anyone else or any external factors.
Whether or not you succeed depends entirely on your commitment.
Think about the thing you’re pursuing. Are you 110% dedicated to it? Do you think about it day and night? Are you willing to sacrifice enormously to make it happen? Is your goal clear and tangible in your mind?
If you answered no to the questions above, I have some bad news. You’re not going to succeed.
Sorry to say it, but someone should. If your “dream” is more of a wish than an all-consuming, I’m-going-to-do-this-no-matter-what desire, it’s not going to work out. Wishes are easily forgotten.
Maybe that’s OK with you. Maybe your dream is really just a hobby, or maybe it’s something to think about to pass the time or entertain yourself with. There’s value in that too. Dreams “keep hope alive” as they say.
But if you want more, if you really want to change your life, change the world or do something extraordinary, here’s where you have to separate yourself from the wishful thinkers.
First off, don’t kid yourself. Tear your dream apart and strip it to the naked truth. What’s left? Is this thing you’re thinking about something you really want, or was it just fun to fantasize about?
You have to be certain here. You have to want this thing as deeply as you’ve ever wanted anything.
Are you there? If so, welcome to a new chapter in your life.
It’s Time to Step it Up a Notch
If you’re with me, congratulations. You’ve moved past if you’ll reach your dream and on to when and how.
Now it’s time to step it up a notch. Or ten notches.
If you’re absolutely, completely and fully committed to making your dream happen, you need to do these things next. These things will keep you from slipping from burning desire back to wishful thinking:
- Let yourself become consumed. Don’t feel bad about thinking about your dream every hour of every day. It takes that kind of focus to make big things happen. Just realize you might sacrifice other aspects of your life temporarily. You can balance this by taking time off once in a while, but after the vacation go back to being consumed.
- Make a real plan. It’s up to you to figure out how to make your dream real. Wanting it badly enough won’t magically change anything. You have to transfer your dream from thought to reality. A real, tangible plan is the only way to make that happen.
- Destroy your exits. Let go of “plan B.” Stop thinking about what you’ll do if things don’t work out. There is no plan B. You’re going to do whatever it takes, and just to make sure, kill your other options so you have no choice.
- Immerse yourself in the right influences. Normal people don’t like dreamers around. Dreamers disrupt the normal flow of things and make people feel uncomfortable. Some of these people will try to cut you down, discourage you and make you fall in line. Don’t listen to those people, and don’t spend time with them if they can’t support you.
Find people who will support you. Find people who are trying to do something as spectacular as you are. Immerse yourself in those influences. Spend time every day talking with people who share your commitment to change. This is absolutely essential to making your dream happen.
This is what it will take to make your dream happen. It all starts with a burning desire and commitment. Then it’s time to step it up a notch.
If you feel like these suggestions are irresponsible or dangerous, that’s fine. But save your breath. You’re not a dreamer yet. The rest of us would rather hear from those who are.
Thanks everyone for the massive support you showed me last week with the launch of 18 Months, 2 Blogs, Six Figures. It was amazing and humbling. If you’re curious about the results of the launch, check out my post on how to release your own manifesto at Think Traffic.
If any of this post sounds familiar, it’s probably because I’m reading Think and Grow Rich for the first time. Definitely check out this classic on success principles from Napoleon Hill. You can read it for free because it’s part of the public domain now. Thanks Karol for recommending it.
If you enjoyed this post, why not sign up for email updates whenever I publish? I’d love to have you on board!
photo by Lif…
- Learn anything? Please share!
5 Free Videos, Digital Books, & Workbooks
- 6 Steps to 1,000 Visitors a Day
- 18 Months, 2 Blogs, Six Figures eBook
- 6 Ways to Earn $1,000/Mo Online
- 3 Compelling Content Types You Can Use Today To Get Loads of Visitors, Shares and Subscribers
- The Essential Business Plan Template For Bloggers